- Cote, A. (2020). Gaming Sexism: Gender and Identity in the Era of Casual Video Games. New York University Press.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Cote, A. C., & Harris, B. C. (2021). “Weekends became something other people did”: Understanding and intervening in the habitus of video game crunch. Convergence, 27(1), 161-176. doi: 10.1177/1354856520913865.
- Cote, A., Coles, S. M. and Dal Cin, S. (2020). The Interplay of Parenting Style and Family Rules about Videogames on Subsequent Fighting Behavior. Aggressive Behavior, 47(2), 135-147. https://doi.org/10.1002/ab.21931
- Cote, A. (2020). Casual resistance: A longitudinal case study of video gaming’s gendered construction and related audience perceptions. Journal of Communication, 70(6), 819-841. https://doi.org/10.1093/joc/jqaa028
- Cote, A. and Mejeur, C. (2018). Gamers, Gender, and Cruel Optimism: The Limits of Social Identity Constructs in The Guild. Feminist Media Studies, 18(6), 963-978. doi: 1080/14680777.2017.1376699
- Cote, A. (2018). Writing “Gamers”: The gendered construction of player identity in Nintendo Power Games and Culture, 13(5), 479-503. doi: 10.1177/1555412015624742
- Cote, A. (2017). “I can defend myself”: Women’s strategies for coping with harassment while gaming online. Games and Culture, 12(2), 136-155. doi: 10.1177/1555412015587603
- Cote, A. (2018). Curate Your Culture: A Call for Social Justice-Oriented Game Development and Community Management. In K. Gray and D. Leonard (Eds.), Woke Gaming: Digital Challenges to Oppression and Social Injustice. University of Washington Press.
- Cote, A. and Raz, J. (2015). In-depth interviews for games studies. In P. Lankoski and S. Bjork (Eds.), Game Research Methods: An Overview (pp. 93-116). ETC Press.
- Cote, A. and Perry, C. (2020, Dec. 4). More than Skin Deep: Evaluating Fantasy Video Games’ Underlying Racial Influences. Flow, 27(3). https://www.flowjournal.org/2020/12/fantasy-video-games/.
- Cote, A. (2020). Review of the book Fake Geek Girls: Fandom, Gender, and the Convergence Culture Industry, by S. Scott. Convergence, 26(1), 228-230. doi:1177/1354856519861739
- Cote, A. (2018). Review of the book Ready Player Two: Women Gamers and Designed Identity, by S. Chess. Feminist Media Studies, 18(5), 957-959. doi: 10.1080/14680777.2018.1498142
- Can, O., Harris, B., Rahman, W., Hansen, J., Foxman, M., Wear, H., Cote, A., and Fickle, T. (2020, Sept. 25). A Collegiate Esports Ecosystem: Exploring Possibilities and Challenges for Universities and Businesses. Paper presented at the Gaming & Esports Summit: Economics & Business Conference. Virtual.
- Foxman, M. and Cote, A. (2020). Entering the Arena: Critical Issues in the Institutionalization of Esports. Panel discussion accepted to the Digital Game Research Association Conference. Conference canceled due to COVID-19.
- Cote, A. (2020, May 25). Sexism Is Ordinary: Contextualizing #Gamergate Through Female Gamers’ Experiences. Paper presented at the International Communication Association Conference. Virtual.
- Foxman, M., Cote, A., Wear, H., Harris, B., Hansen, J., Can, O., and Rahman, W. (2020, May 24). For the Win: Critical Concerns of Collegiate Esports Players. Paper presented at the International Communication Association Conference. Virtual.
- Cote, A. and Harris, B. (2020, May 23). “Weekends Became Something Other People Did”: Understanding and Intervening in the Habitus of Video Game Crunch. Paper presented at the International Communication Association Conference. Virtual.
- Cote, A. (2019, August 8). “Stupid games” and serious gamers: Reconciling conflicting video game identities. Paper presented at the Digital Game Research Association Conference. Kyoto, Japan.
- Cote, A. (2019, May 26). From Digital to Dungeons: A Case Study of Female Gamers, Changing Play Habits, and Analog Games. Paper presented at the International Communication Association Conference. Washington, DC. (Top Paper in Game Studies)
- Cote, A., Coles, S. M., and Dal Cin, S. (2019, May 26). Restrictive Mediation of M-Rated Video Games: Relation to Aggressive Outcomes and Parenting Style. Paper presented at the International Communication Association Conference. Washington, DC.
- Cote, A. and Mejeur, C. (2019, April 17). Failing to G-Kick Stereotypes: Race, Gender, and Identity in The Guild. Paper presented at the Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association Conference. Washington, DC.
- Cote, A. (2018, March 17). Girly Games and “Girl Gamers”: Implicit Sexism in Video Game Culture. Paper presented at the Annual Society of Cinema and Media Studies Conference. Toronto, CA.
- Cote, A. (2017, Aug. 31). Framing AAA: Media Coverage of Industrial Change in Early 2000s Video Gaming. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Society for Social Studies of Science (4S). Boston, MA.
- Cote, A. and Mejeur, C. (2016, June 16). The Cruel Optimism of Gamer Identity: An Analysis of The Guild, Gender, and the Limitations of Social Identity Constructions. Paper presented at Console-ing Passions 2016. University of Notre Dame, South Bend, IN.
- Cote, A. (2014, Nov. 16). Press X to continue: Feminism, gaming technology, and (the absence of) women in videogaming. Panel discussion presented at the National Women’s Studies Association 2014 Conference. San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- Cote, A. (2014, Oct. 17). Playing online with boys: Women’s strategies for coping with harassment while gaming. Paper presented at Meaningful Play 2014. Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI.
- Cote, A. (2014, Oct. 16). Gender, inclusive game design, and gaming culture: An industry and academic discussion. Roundtable discussion presented at Meaningful Play 2014. Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI.
- Cote, A. (2012, July 20). Playing with masculinity: Narrative video games and male characters. Paper presented at Console-ing Passions 2012. Suffolk University, Boston, MA.
- Cote, A. (2011, July 21). “Our princess is in another castle”: Feminist media theory and female video game characters. Paper presented at Console-ing Passions 2011. University of South Australia, Adelaide, South Australia.
Invited Talks and Seminars
- Cote, A. and Harris, B. (2020, Dec. 11). Gamework on the page: Text-Based Research Methods for Studying Game Production Cultures. Researching Game-making: Skills, Cultures, and Politics Workshop, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Aus.
- Cote, A. (2020, Nov. 14). The Cassandras of Crunch: How Labor Advocates Go Unheard in Gaming’s Hierarchical Development Structure. Game Studies Work in Development Seminar, Mercer University, Macon, GA.
- Cote, A. (2019, Feb. 20). Inclusion Action Series: Body Size Bias and Body Image in Culture and Media. Roundtable hosted by the University of Oregon Diversity Action Committee.
- Cote, A. (2015, June 17). Women’s strategies for coping with harassment while gaming online. Invited talk via Skype at Eastern Kentucky University School of Justice Studies.
- Cote, A. and Mejeur, C. (2015, March 24). Virtual gender barriers: Issues of representation and voice in games. Invited talk at Lawrence Technological University, MI.
- Cote, A., Frank, K. and Panek, E. (2011, Dec. 2). New directions in Communication Studies on the Digital Revolution. HASTAC 2011. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI.