Refereed Journal Articles
- Cote, A. (2018). Writing “Gamers”: The gendered construction of player identity in Nintendo Power Games and Culture, 13(5), 479-503. doi: 10.1177/1555412015624742
- Cote, A. and Mejeur, C. (2017). Gamers, Gender, and Cruel Optimism: The Limits of Social Identity Constructs in The Guild. Feminist Media Studies. doi: 1080/14680777.2017.1376699
- Cote, A. (2017). “I can defend myself”: Women’s strategies for coping with harassment while gaming online. Games and Culture, 12(2), 136-155. doi: 10.1177/1555412015587603
- Cote, A. (2018). Managing online game harassment: Lessons from past attempts and players’ experiences. In K. Gray and D. Leonard (Eds.), Woke Gaming: Digital Challenges to Oppression and Social Injustice. University of Washington Press.
- Cote, A. and Raz, J. (2015). In-depth interviews for games studies. In P. Lankoski and S. Bjork (Eds.), Game Research Methods: An Overview (pp. 93-116). ETC Press.
- Cote, A. (2018, August 1). Review of the book Ready Player Two: Women Gamers and Designed Identity, by S. Chess. Feminist Media Studies, 18(5), 957-959.
- Cote, A. (2018, March 17). Girly Games and “Girl Gamers”: Implicit Sexism in Video Game Culture. Paper presented at the Annual Society of Cinema and Media Studies Conference. Toronto, CA.
- Cote, A. (2017, Aug. 31). Framing AAA: Media Coverage of Industrial Change in Early 2000s Video Gaming. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Society for Social Studies of Science (4S). Boston, MA.
- Cote, A. and Mejeur, C. (2016, June 16). The Cruel Optimism of Gamer Identity: An Analysis of The Guild, Gender, and the Limitations of Social Identity Constructions. Paper presented at Console-ing Passions 2016. University of Notre Dame, South Bend, IN.
- Cote, A. (2014, Nov. 16). Press X to continue: Feminism, gaming technology, and (the absence of) women in videogaming. Panel discussion presented at the National Women’s Studies Association 2014 Conference. San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- Cote, A. (2014, Oct. 17). Playing online with boys: Women’s strategies for coping with harassment while gaming. Paper presented at Meaningful Play 2014. Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI.
- Cote, A. (2014, Oct. 16). Gender, inclusive game design, and gaming culture: An industry and academic discussion. Roundtable discussion presented at Meaningful Play 2014. Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI.
- Cote, A. (2012, July 20). Playing with masculinity: Narrative video games and male characters. Paper presented at Console-ing Passions 2012. Suffolk University, Boston, MA.
- Cote, A. (2011, July 21). “Our princess is in another castle”: Feminist media theory and female video game characters. Paper presented at Console-ing Passions 2011. University of South Australia, Adelaide, South Australia.
Invited Talks and Seminars
- Cote, A. (2015, June 17). Women’s strategies for coping with harassment while gaming online. Invited talk via Skype at Eastern Kentucky University School of Justice Studies.
- Cote, A. and Mejeur, C. (2015, March 24). Virtual gender barriers: Issues of representation and voice in games. Invited talk at Lawrence Technological University, MI.
- Cote, A., Frank, K. and Panek, E. (2011, Dec. 2). New directions in Communication Studies on the Digital Revolution. HASTAC 2011. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI.